Saturday, October 13, 2012

South Korea Day 2: Times Square

Andrew woke up this morning around 4:30am Korean time and said he couldn't go back to sleep after sleeping about six hours. So, he and I watched some videos and played games on the iPad while we let Daddy continue to sleep.

Around 7am, Daddy wasn't able to sleep anymore so we met up with Ngoai and Papa for breakfast downstairs at the hotel. We get one free breakfast with our room and Andrew is free since he is a child. And the hotel is comping another guest for us as a favor to Dad. So, we are able to get three adults and one child breakfast everyday. Not too bad. And since I am not a big breakfast person I am definitely okay with not eating downstairs. But Mom and I said we would switch off; and we both also packed things for a light breakfast.

But Ngoai and Papa had woken up around 4am as well and were hungry so decided to go ahead and eat something then. So, Papa wasn't really hungry and let me go downstairs in his place. It was a very nice spread; and Andrew finally got some food he liked. He had two slices of bread with strawberry jam, a little bit of a chocolate muffin, some pineapple and honeydew melon, bacon, and the big winner this morning--pork dumplings. The restaurant not only serves breakfast items, but some lunch/dinner items as well. He ate like 8-9 of them (they are a little smaller than we are used to, but still).

After breakfast, we made our plans for the day. Daddy and I are both a little sore from exercising the day before we left and/or sitting on the plane too long. And Andrew was congested and not fully recharged so I didn't want to push him too hard. So, we wanted to take it easy.

Our hotel provides a free shuttle to Seoul's Times Square. It isn't like New York's like with all the lights, but it does boast a lot of stores. When we got there, James immediately spotted a Korean fire station and Andrew was so excited about it! Andrew even asked for the "small camera" so he could take photos himself.

Then, we walked around the area looking at some art as well as a nearby garden with some garden art. Next, we headed inside to the mall and checked out some stores. Later, we grabbed some lunch (Andrew killed some Korean beef and ate some soup broth) and dessert to take back to the hotel for later. Andrew's congestion seemed to be getting worse so we decided we would take a short taxi ride to get him back to the hotel to take some medicine and rest. Meanwhile, Dad and Mom were going to stay back and do some more shopping before coming back to the hotel themselves.

Andrew fell asleep fairly fast and ended up sleeping for seven hours!! It was basically night time back home and with him being short on sleep, it made sense. I slept for four hours myself--I really didn't want to sleep that much truth be told. I was hoping to adjust to the time change a little more. But since I am probably a little sleep deprived, it's all right.

Mom and Dad cooked dinner (stuffed squid and soy marinaded pork with rice and vegetables). I walked to their room first to eat while James stayed back with sleeping Andrew and then we switched so James could eat. Andrew finally woke up about 8pm and ate a little bit of dinner. Then, he played here in the hotel room (cars and super heroes); and I just put him down about an hour ago. I don't know how tired he really was, but I am hoping he is able to fall asleep. I haven't heard any noise from the room, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Actually, I just heard him so I guess he hasn't fallen asleep yet.

It wasn't the most productive of days, but we felt it was important for Andrew to rest--and he was able to catch up on some sleep, so that's good. We have plenty of more time to sight-see Koreal so I am hoping he gets to feeling better for the rest of our trip.









No comments: