Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Happy 56th Month Birthday

Andrew is now 56 months old!! This month has totally flown by.

He still plays a lot of Transformer Rescue Bots, but his obsession has definitely grown. It's his absolute favorite show and will watch it any chance he gets especially when he does his nebulizer. When we watch it on the DVR, he always asks to fast forward through the commercials. He will sing the theme song and he also plays it on his iPad.

One day, we were shopping in Target and he was perusing some DVDs and found a Scooby Doo with Batman DVD and asked to have it. He has known who Scooby Doo was before this, but wasn't too interested in watching him. But he loves the DVD and things Scooby and Shaggy are so funny.

He loves his Optimus Prime fire station, but still hasn't earned Bumblebee's garage. For a long while, I didn't ever see Blades in the store. So, I told Andrew that we might have to order him online. He kept asking when I was going to order him. He was so worried about it. And then, there are these other two vehicles called Medic or Hoist that I haven't seen in stores either and were more expensive than the others online. So, I mentioned one day that we might have to ask Santa for them. And after that, he would say that he was going to ask Santa for Medic and Hoist for Christmas. I have since found Medic, Hoist, and Boulder and bought them, but we haven't given them to Andrew yet. We tell him that he has to earn them like scoring goals. But he loves to go into the closet and look at them and pull them out to show to people.

Andrew still likes to play with LEGOs. He has been playing a lot with his airplanes once again since we have built them back. He still talks about the forest police station that he wants.

We have been doing a lot of pretending. Andrew loves to dress up in his Batman attire and act it out. He wants to build a Batcave out of our couches and blankets. He will even make a spot for the Batmobile or Batcycle. I got one of his belts out and we put some gadgets on there for him to use like a utility belt. I am usually Batgirl, but one day, he said Daddy could be the "guy who works for Batman" meaning Alfred. So funny!

As for his drawings, Andrew has been making pictures of Halloween scenes with things like a haunted house, pumpkins, ghosts, skeletons, and a moon. He also likes to draw airports and super heroes still.

He is doing a great job reading and is able to go through more of the BOB books. Drew can also read more of the words when we are reading books to him. We also try to see how much he can do without the pictures as a guide too.

Andrew is very excited about Halloween. We have been reading some Halloween books including Berenstein Bears and Scooby Doo. He is very ready to dress up and go trick or treating. He keeps asking "When is Halloween?"

In terms of eating, he is eating a lot of what he was eating before. I don't know if I mentioned, but Andrew does like to eat Chicken Tikka when we go to Indian restaurants especially dipping the naan into the sauce. As for the other foods he likes, Andrew's favorites include sliced ham, grilled cheese sandwiches with ham, meat with Ngoai's sauce, Nilla wafers, grapes, apples, and yogurt. There are times when his whole meal is just meat because that's all he wants to eat. I am trying to get him to eat some more rice, but sometimes, he is just not in the mood. We had Chicken Kitchen again the other day and we really liked eating the chicken with teriyaki sauce and the corn. We also get him broccoli sometimes from there, but Daddy forgot to order it for him. For breakfast, Andrew still eats a lot of kolaches, Eggo waffles, Toaster Strudel, and cereal with milk.

Andrew's talking is becoming more fluid and his speech is definitely still improving. The things that come out of his mouth can just make us laugh hysterically. Some of the things that we hear often are "I'm so silly", "Oh, I forgot", and "Ohhhhh...."

When he gets dressed, he will tell me that his clothes are "nice and comfy" or "nice and warm". He still prefers t-shirts over polo knits.

One day, he got in trouble for goofing off too much at soccer practice and I was having him a talk with him in the car on the way home. After a while, he told me "I try my best, Mom" and later "Mom, can we talk about it later? My ears hurt."

When he does get in trouble, he will try to smooth things over and tell me "I going to be good" or "I going to listen".

We still get a lot of "I love you" which is still nice even if it is just to stall. But he will tell us that or "I miss you" quite a bit just because so that's good.

And he was so excited about our trip to Korea. We had talked about the long flight and that he would get to watch video on the plane. It was funny because he asked if we were going to take a taxi to the hotel like we did in New York. But he was happy to learn we were going to take a shuttle. He was very interested in helping me pack especially picking out his clothes and toys. And he was very adamant about what he wanted me to put on his iPad (Rescue Bots, Lorax, Super Friends, and Super Hero Squad).

Andrew gave us some laughs when we were in Korea. My favorite occurred one day when we were all laying in bed hoping to take a nap. He had taken off his socks because he was warm. Then suddenly, he asks me "Will you be a nice Mommy and get my socks?" We asked him where he got "nice Mommy" from and he said the Lorax, but I don't know either of the movies well enough to know if they include that line.

He loved watching cartoons even if they were in Korean. His favorite was Poli, the Robocar, which is their version of Rescue Bots. But there was one evening he scolded us "Will you talk quiet? I can't hear." I asked him why did it matter if he could hear because it was in Korean. Papa asked if he could understand it to which Andrew replied that he could and started making up lines like "Hi! What you doing?"

Andrew was very sad about missing school while we were away, especially Science and Chapel. He said to us "maybe my friends miss me".

Drew really enjoyed staying in the hotel and our room. He was into turning on and off all the lights for us. I think his favorite part was having Ngoai and Papa down the hall from us and loved running between the rooms and ringing the doorbell. And he quickly learned how to call the rooms too. He promptly told me "you have to press 7 first".

But I really think that he had fun on our trip and enjoyed himself. He seemed to love all the sights we saw especially the N Seoul Tower and the Han River Ferry Cruise. But he says his favorite was the cable car. He must have drawn the cable car and tower a dozen times. He even told us a few times "I like Korea. It's so beautiful." He did ask if we could come back and stay in the same hotel and was sad when we told him that more than likely, we would not be coming back. But the blow was soften when we told him that there are so many other places that we can go.

And I was very proud of him with the long flights. He did really well never complaining or whining. He enjoyed watching movies on the in-flight monitors and I am eternally grateful for the iPad.

Happy 56th Month Birthday, Drew!



No comments: