Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas at SLDS

St. Luke's celebrated Christmas today! First was the Nativity Chapel this morning. I asked Drew if he wanted me to come to chapel to which he answered "yes." I then asked him if he wanted to sit with me in the back or sit with his class to which he responded "sit with class." I have to admit I was a little hurt that he didn't pick me, but I am glad he likes his class so much that he wants to stay with them. I was already seated on one of the benches when Andrew walked in with his class. He saw me and waved to me a few times. Ahh, how I love it so...makes up a little bit for ditching me earlier! Ha ha!

When I had read that it was the Nativity Chapel, I just thought it was going to them really talking about the navitity scene and the birth of Jesus. Andrew already knows a little about it from previous chapels and from his teachers and loves to point out Baby Jesus in the manger whenever he can.

But I was in for a total surprise (as probably was Andrew too). Several kindergarters and their teachers performed a little skit complete with a few songs depicting the night Jesus was born. They did such an outstanding job! I was totally impressed and so glad I came to watch because it really was a treat to see!

Later in the afternoon, I came back to school to help out with the class Christmas party. When we were signing up to volunteer, there was only one spot left open for Christmas--crafts. I have to admit I kind of like the idea of bringing something easier and possibly less involved like cookies, drinks, or paper goods, but I hoped that I could come up with something good with my scrapbooking background.

I went to Hobby Lobby and picked out an ornament kit with an opening for a photo thinking that I could get a picture of each kid in the class. And getting the pictures started off more daunting of a task than I had originally expected, but the room mother totally hooked me up! But the more I thought about it, I wasn't too enthused about the kit because there wasn't a lot of room around the photo for the kids to decorate with the foam stickers provided in the kit. So, I went back to Hobby Lobby and instead found these foam Christmas trees about six inches in length. My creative juices started flowing and I figured I could punch a hole in the top to add the ribbon to hang up the ornament and I was just cut out the pictures of the kids and paste them onto the tree. I was pretty happy with the result and it seemed like some of the other parents seemed happy with them too!

Anyways, after we set up and decorated, the kids came back in from a little excursion to get them out of the classroom. They sat down at the table for cookies and juice boxes. It was so cute seeing them all sit so nicely and together at one big table! I am once again impressed how the teachers can get all those kids to listen and behave!!

After the kids were done eating, they were able to work on their photo ornaments. They loved the foam stickers and really got into decorating the tree! Andrew was cute putting a star on the front of his tree on top on his own. And then he put a foam sticker of a smaller tree on the back and then decorated that smaller tree with a star and other ornaments as well.

Since the party was winding down, the teachers began to distribute two art projects, an ornament the kids had decorated with glitter and a paper wreath the kids had painted. And they also gave us the parents a little present from the kids not to be opened until Christmas day.

It was time to go home and chill while we waited for Daddy to come home after work. It was a great day at school for both Andrew and I. I am so lucky that I get to experience these things with Andrew. I even texted Daddy about how much I appreciate his hard work giving me this opportunity to stay home with our son. Thanks again, Daddy! We love you so much!!















































No comments: