Thursday, December 2, 2010

African Forest

This morning, we didn't have anything planned or scheduled. I remembered an email about the start of the member preview for the new section of the Houston Zoo, the African Forest. As our luck would have it, the preview started today! I had been waiting to see it, so off we went! It was a beautiful day and by the look of the parking lot, many people had the same idea I had. But it ended up not being that crowded.

Upon entering the African Forest, the first animal habitat we came across was the chimpanzees. And there were a few of them up close to the viewing window just looking at all the people. It was so ironic. I think they might have been more interested in us than we of them. They were so cute!! Andrew and I were totally loving it! We stayed and watched them a bit before continuing our exploration.

The next habitat was the rhinos and the greater kudu antelopes. I was really amazed by how massive the rhinos were. Andrew was interested in them, but not for very long. He was quickly ready to move onto the next exhibit, which was the new giraffe house. The giraffes were outside and enjoying the nice weather as well. One got pretty close to us eating leaves from a tree. I pointed out to Andrew how the giraffe used its long tongue to get the leaves.

As we exited the African Forest, Andrew spotted the carousel and asked to ride it. And then, we started to walk towards the zoo entrance. We called Daddy about whether he was still available for lunch, which he was, but still needed a little more time. So, Andrew and I went to ride the train first. Then, we got in the car and headed for Daddy's office. Andrew must have been tuckered out because he fell asleep on the way there. So, I took him home to finish napping.

I really enjoyed the new African Forest. The zoo did a fantastic job; and I am thrilled with the arrivals of the chimps and rhinos. We will definitely be coming back soon to see them again!












































No comments: