Wednesday, September 22, 2010

School Update: Week #4

Monday, September 20, 2010

Andrew didn't go to school yesterday because he was still a little under the weather and coughing more than I was comfortable sending him to school with (I was nervous that he might throw up). We figured that it would be best for him to stay home with me and rest. At certain points during the day he would say either "no school" or "more school."

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In the morning, I called the school office today about sending Andrew to school. Since he was clear of fever for more than 24 hours and seemed to be feeling better, I thought he was well enough to go to school. The office also reassured me that they would call me to take him home if they felt that he wasn't feeling well.

So, I got Andrew fed and dressed and packed up everything for less than thirty minutes (it had to be a record). He did say "no school" (which he tends to say before school), but didn't put up a stink at all when I got him ready or told him to go downstairs with me.

When we were driving by the school, Andrew said "Andrew school" and said "yes" when I asked him if he wanted to go to school. As we continued to get closer to the parking lot, Andrew also said "more school", "more playground", and "more hallway" (since they played an animal game in the hallway).

When we were walking to his classroom, I reminded him he would need to put up his snack and school bag by himself. Then out of nowhere, he proceeds to tell me that he would say "hi" to his teachers and "hug" them.

We reached his classroom and one of his classmates, Paige, was waiting in the hallway. Andrew walked up to her and hugged her (again without any prodding from me). And when he caught sight of Ms. Faruolo, he started waving hi to her. He walked into the room and put up his snack, school bag, and lunch bag. He didn't cry at all. So, I told him that I was going to leave and that I would pick him up. I then asked him to go wash his hands with Ms. Quiroz. No tears yet. As I left the room, I heard him say "mama" twice, but still no crying.

I went to go pick up Daddy for a lunch date at Frank's Chop House, a restaurant very close to St. Luke's. It was really nice getting to eat a somewhat fancy meal with just Daddy. We definitely need to have more dates!! But I have to admit that we were both a little anxious because we didn't want lunch to run long and make us late to pick Andrew up. We ended up having ample time to eat and get over to the school.

Andrew was happy that Daddy had come to pick him up. We talked to him about his day a little on the drive back to James's office. Today, he had motor class and the kids walked around the gym on a yellow line. He asked for "more motor" a few times so I guess he liked it enough as well as asking for "more school" (which he tends to say after school). After we dropped him off, Andrew said he wanted cupcakes. Since we were on that part of town, Andrew and I drove over to Crave Cupcakes. Andrew said we had to order two of them, one for him and one for me. He never wants to just buy one and share even though he never finishes the whole cupcake.

Hopefully, this means no more crying from our little student! I am keeping my fingers crossed.




























Wednesday, September 22, 2010

This morning as we were getting ready for school, Andrew still said "no school" a couple of times, but never shed a tear. But later when we were driving by the church, he said "Andrew's school", "more playground", "more hallway", and "more motor class".

As we walked into his classroom, Andrew grabbed his school bag from me so he could hold it himself. His teachers really want the kids to become more independent and do things for themselves and as such, ask that they put away their things by themselves. He immediately hugged Ms. Faruolo. He then put his bag up and walked to the sink to go wash his hands. He then turned to say goodbye to me. I heard him say "mama" very sadly to Ms. Quiroz, but there was no crying. I took this as my cue to leave and watched him as I walked out the door. He was washing his hands with Ms. Quiroz and seemed to be all right.

I picked Andrew up with no problems. As we were leaving, I told Andrew to say goodbye to his classmates and hug his teachers, but he ended up hugging all the kids. So sweet! The kids played an animal game in the hallway again since their playground was being worked on today. As we walked back to the car, Andrew said "more school" and also said that he likes school, his teachers, and classmates.

We went home to hang out and this afternoon, he decided he wanted to put on Daddy's dress shoes. He thought he was a hoot!




No comments: