Wednesday, September 8, 2010

School Update: Week #2

Andrew's second week of school went pretty well. But throughout the weekend, he would periodically say "no school", but would also say "more school" as well.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Andrew didn't have any school in observance of the Labor Day holiday.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In the morning, he got ready just fine and even helped me to pack his snack and lunch. For breakfast, he wanted some of Nonna's delicious banana nut cake and was in good spirits. We finished getting ready and headed off for school. The drive went well with no negative comments. We parked and walked to class. He would say "no school" occassionally, but no crying.

When we got to his classroom, we put his snack, school bag, and lunchbox up. And then, he started to cry when I tried to sign him in. It wasn't too bad. Just some sad tears and some crying for Mama. Ms. Faruolo held him and tried to reassure him that he was going to have fun at school today and that I would be back to pick him up. She then told me to go ahead and go since he was already crying. That made sense so I walked out of the room, but lingered in the hallway to listen for him. Another mom told me that he had stopped crying, but was still sitting in Ms. Faruolo's lap.

And when I went to go pick him up from school, he started to cry again when he saw me. It didn't last very long or wasn't hard crying. He just seemed sad. But both teachers said he did well today and didn't cry any other time during the day after I had left.

He also was able to take a nap with his class from 12:40 to 2pm and they had to wake him from his nap. I wasn't sure how napping was going to go at school so I was very relieved when they said he was able to sleep and for so long. They will typically put the kids down at 12:30 at the latest so that means it maybe took Andrew ten minutes to fall asleep. Ms. Faruolo assured me that the kids will nap because they are so tired from everything they do at school. I hope he continues to be able to sleep like this!

For a special treat, I took Andrew to Sprinkles Cupcakes for an after school treat. He said he wanted to eat it at home so we took our cupcake to go. He seemed to enjoy it, but of course couldn't finish the whole thing.







































Wednesday, September 8, 2010

On Wednesday, there was a little bit more hesitation from Andrew. He actually cried a little when we were walking downstairs to get into the car. He was saying "no school" a little more than the previous days. But I calmed him down and put on his shoes. There was no problem getting him in the car or on the drive over. He was fine walking to his room as well. But when we got there, there was a little back up of the kids and parents waiting to get in, put their things away, and sign in. As we stood waiting, Andrew started to cry a little.

After, he calmed down a bit. But after we put up his things, he went to wash his hands and started to cry again. I took him to the puzzle table, but it didn't help to console him. Then, Ms. Faruolo came over and held him so I could leave. I stayed in the hallway trying to listen for him. I heard him cry a little bit asking for me, but only for a minute or two.

There was another mom in the classroom next door who was trying to listen for her daughter. So, I looked into the room to check up on her daughter. When I turned around to look at Andrew's room, I saw Ms. Faruolo closing the door. So, I knew Andrew was okay by then.

When I came to pick him up, he didn't cry, but he ran right for me. The report from his teachers was that he did very well. We have ordered lunch for Andrew from a company called Green Plate Kids where we can order healthy lunches. I wasn't sure our order had been processed so I sent a lunch with chicken nuggets just in case. His spaghetti and meatball lunch did come and the teachers asked him which one he wanted. He chose the chicken nuggets. The teachers also said he slept from 1230-2pm and had a good day.

He was ready to go home, but I told him to say goodbye to his classmates and hug his teachers. So, he first waved and said bye and then went to hug all the boys that were left. There was one girl and he didn't hug her. I don't know if it was accidental, but it's rather strange that the only kid omitted was a girl. Who knows?! He hugged both his teachers and we walked out of the room. He saw one of his classmates, a little girl named Scarlett (I believe), and yelled out "bye" to her. So, maybe he doesn't have anything against his female classmates after all.

While Andrew was at school today, I met up with Aunts Belinda and Thi for a little girls' luncheon. I have to say it was really nice getting to catch up and eat with the girls without the kids. But I have to admit I was constantly thinking about Andrew and picking him up from school. After lunch, I went to go pick him up while they went to go drop off some lunch for Uncle Chris. Then, they were headed to Berri Pop and Celebrity Cupcakes. So, after I picked Andrew up, I called them to find out where they were. They had just gotten to Berri Pop and said to come on over so we did. Andrew was all for getting yogurt and/or cupcakes. It was fun getting out little after school treats again. Then, we headed to Ngoai's house for dinner as she was making pho for Uncle Hung, Aunt Hong, and Mary Ann. I originally wasn't going to go, but Andrew said he wanted to go and I am always down for a nice bowl of pho!

No comments: