Thursday, September 23, 2010

Let's Get Physical?!

Today, I really noticed Andrew becoming more and more physical with his friends. I've seen it a little bit before and knew it was inevitable because it became more and more prevalent. But today, he and his little friends were all about playing around with each other and very physically at that. They would roll around, wrestle, or whatever else. As a mother, I get very nervous scared that Andrew and his buddies will end up hurting themselves. And I really worry more so that Andrew will hurt his friends somehow. Sometimes, he doesn't know his own strength or weight or how to control himself. But I also know that Andrew is a boy and it's just what boys do. Instead, I just try to more so referee than anything (if the other kids are willing participants) and make sure they don't do anything too crazy just to try to decrease their chances of getting hurt.

First, this morning during our play date with Josh, the two boys were all over one another rolling around on the floor just being silly. Josh and Andrew were laughing and laughing. I have to admit it was contagious. I did get scared sometimes because Andrew might lead with his head; and I don't want him to bonk heads with any one.

Then later tonight at open gym, Gavin, Shane, and Andrew were rolling around on the mats having so much fun wrestling. One would roll on top of a ball and then the others would pile on. I thought it was pretty hilarious, but I admit that I was scared if it was both Gavin and Andrew on top of Baby Shane. But that kid totally holds his own. Shane is such a little brute--I love it! It was very different than Andrew and Gavin running around chasing another, jumping, playing pretend trains, or anything else they normally do at open gym. But after wrestling, the boys did go back to jumping and running.

I guess this is a rite of passage for little boys. Most of the mom friends that I have talked to lately also say their kids around Andrew's age, mainly boys, are definitely getting more physical when they play as well. So, it's definitely not just my kid. Like I said, I just worry more about Andrew hurting himself or another person. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

I didn't get any pictures of Josh and Andrew wrestling, but I did take some pictures when we were doing a more calming and very less physical activity, Jell-O Jigglers. Anh made the Jell-O before we arrived thinking the boys could press out their names for dessert after lunch. They totally had a blast doing it and then eating the letters afterwards. It was a really cute idea.




No comments: