Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Vietnamese Tricks

I try to talk to Andrew in Vietnamese when I am able to, which isn't near as much as I like. He doesn't understand much now, but I hope that he will learn more especially if my relatives speak to him in Vietnamese. I tell Ngoai and Papa to speak to him in their native language, but it's hard now because he doesn't understand very much. So, they just have to speak to him in English for time being. But hopefully, that won't always be the case.

But Andrew can do a few "tricks" after being told them in Vietnamese, which I recorded for your viewing pleasure. The first thing he can do is "vong tay lay," which is a way to respectfully greet elder people by crossing your arms and saying "yaa". The second thing I ask him to do is to "lam bo," which is essentially blinking or squinting your eyes. I don't know why this is a trick, but it's just something cute for kids to do. And finally, Andrew's last trick is "lac cai dit, which translates to "shake your butt." He normally does this while standing up, but at that moment, he happened to be sitting down, but still shook his moneymaker. But you get the idea.

No comments: