Monday, August 31, 2009

More Ms

So yesterday, we had three more Ms--(1) Monica; (2) Museum of Natural Science; and (3) Mode...as in Depeche Mode.

This afternoon, Auntie Monica came up with her cousin, Krutika, who was visiting from New Jersey. We had made plans to take to the Museum of Natural Science. We started with the Cockrell Butterfly Center, which I had told Monica about when we first took Andrew a while back and she thought it would be cool to see. Well, both Monica and Krutika said they enjoyed it. I love looking at all the different butterflies flying everywhere in such a concentrated space. There were two highlights for me. The first was a butterfly actually landed on me for just a second or two. When we first arrived, I had told Monica that I would be so happy if one did; and one did! I must have been too excited that the butterfly flew off pretty quickly. But it was on me long enough for Andrew to see and sign for more!! It was too funny. If only it was that easy, kiddo! The second highlight was when we came upon a volunteer who had some butterflies for us to touch (I could have pretended that we had gotten these amazing pictures with Andrew holding a butterfly in his palm and one on Andrew's shoulder, but I won't deceive you). Thus, the butterflies in those pictures are dead, but preserved. But it was still cool to be able to touch them especially for Andrew since he doesn't understand why he can't touch the real ones who would be crazy to land on such an active kid!

Afterwards, we went through the Diamonds exhibit to see some bling bling. Andrew didn't really dig this exhibit even though we tried to point out all the kids that we thought would interest him like trucks, dirt, water, and whatever animals we could find. Daddy took him out early and went upstairs to see the fake animals. The exhibit had some amazing pieces that Mommy was amazed by and would like to have personally! Ha ha! Unfortunately, they did not allow photography in the exhibit so I have none to share with you.

The third M is for another reason that Monica came up to Houston in that we were headed to the Depeche Mode concert up at the Woodlands Pavilion. I felt totally guilty for leaving Andrew two nights in a row, but it was just the way it worked out. Poor kid was probably wondering why I was gone back to back nights. Daddy likes DM, but not as much as Mommy so he was sweet by staying home with Andrew. I would have loved Daddy to be there--I missed both my boys during the concert. It ended up being great in terms of weather and in terms of music. The weather was really nice. It wasn't too hot; and we had a nice breeze for most of the night. DM is one of my all time favorite bands--if not my absolute favorite. Anyhow, we had an awesome time! For all the DM lovers out there, my favorite songs they sang were A Question of Lust and Waiting For the Night.

On an end note by which I want to reflect, I find it funny (and quite ironic) how I can look so forward to some adult time, but when it happens, I find myself missing Andrew so much. I know it's good for me to get out and for Andrew to be away from me. I had such a great time both nights and am looking forward to some other outings without Andrew. Sometimes, James and I talk about going away on a romantic getaway for a night (when I am realistic) or a weekend (when I am optimistic) or a week (when I am really brave). But then reality sets in; and I know that I am not ready yet. Hopefully, there will be a time when I will be more ready to leave him--doing back bends at a chance to get away. One of these days...but not just yet...







No comments: