Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Harry Connick, Jr.

Last night, Daddy and I had a very special date night. For years, we had been wanting to see Harry Connick, Jr. but something always ended up getting in the way.

Seven years ago when we got married, James's wedding present to me was to a weekend trip to New Orleans for Jazz Fest soon after the wedding. But Saturday, the day of the show, it rained so hard that Jazz Fest was cancelled including Harry's show. We had a great time in NOLA nonetheless, but we were of course disappointed having missed the show.

Then, in 2007, Harry was coming to Houston for a show up in the Woodlands, but it was the night before James's graduation from Rice. We had lots going on including family in town that it would have been too hard to go.

So, earlier this year, when I was looking for tickets for a Thomas show at Jones Hall for Andrew, lo and behold, the website listed a show for Harry, which I hadn't heard a thing about until then. I immediately emailed James. He didn't even hesitate to say we would get tickets. We decided it would be an anniversary present for me since it was a redo for my wedding present.

Ngoai's car was in the shop and she was without a car so we were lucky when Kavi's nanny agreed to watch Andrew for us. I was a little nervous since Andrew had never seen her. This would be the first non-related babysitter since our nanny when Andrew was young. We explained to Andrew what was going on. We said we were going on a date and Ms. Racquel would come over and watch him and play with him. He was cute about asking questions like "why you go on date?", "what's anniversary?", and "why you get married?" But he seemed pretty excited about Racquel coming over.

And upon her arrival, we all ate some pizza together and talked a little bit. Once Andrew was finished eating, he hopped down off the chair and grabbed her hand to go play trains. He then said "Mommy and Daddy go bye bye now." I knew he would be okay.

During the concert, I texted Racquel a bit and she told me that Andrew was doing great. He had asked about me one time and got a little sad, but didn't cry. And to our surprise, she was able to get him to sleep at 845pm!! He never does that for us!! We totally need to get her to come over again!! And he has already asked us to go on another date so that Ms. Racquel can come back and play with him again. She is a hit all around!

The concert was incredible. Harry was as every bit good as I had thought he would be. Not only was his singing and piano playing amazing, but he is so funny and witty too!! It was such a great show and I am so glad that we went. And it made it all the better knowing Andrew was okay with Racquel.

I only had my camera phone on me (my point and shoot was out of battery). The bartender took a picture of us at the restaurant, but it was blurry. This is all I got of my wonderful date and me at the concert. I love you, James. Happy Early Anniversary!


No comments: