Monday, December 7, 2009

Weaning...The Saga Begins

Well, we have begun the weaning process on Andrew. Yesterday morning was the last time I nursed. Andrew was really mad at nap time and kept saying "boob" over and over again crying. Then, he finally settled down and we let him watch a Thomas DVD to which he fell asleep. He asked for nursing one time after he woke up and didn't put up too much of a stink when I refused.

Daddy put him down for bedtime, which went pretty smoothly. Drew woke up around 2am wanting nursing and cried for a bit. At first, he cried for milk, but when I kept trying to hand him the sippy cup, he resorted to crying for the "boob" again. But after finally taking the sippy cup with milk, he fell back to sleep within 15 minutes. I have to admit that both Daddy and Mommy had thought it was going to be much harder and much longer than that! Then, Andrew woke up again at 6:30am again wanting the "boob" and fussed just a little when he didn't get it. He finished his sippy cup and wanted more. Daddy went downstairs to get him some. But by then, I guess he was awake because he didn't want to go back to sleep and wanted to watch Curious George.

This morning, we drove down to League City to spend the day with Ngoai. I was anxious about naptime because our routine is for Andrew to nurse in Ngoai's bedroom to go to sleep. I was surprised he didn't fall asleep on the car ride home from the mall--he was hanging in like a champ. Andrew was all over trying to fight the nap by trying to play, moving from the floor to the bed, crawling all over the bed, etc. He did ask for the boob once and gave me a mischevious smile like he was testing out the waters. Ngoai and I had to laugh at that. Finally, I told him to lay down and held him tightly. He cried a bit, then was all of a sudden asleep.

Tonight, I put him down for bedtime. I was again anxious because usually I nurse him before bedtime. He asked for milk, but I told him no more nursing. He got a little upset, but finally calmed down and went to bed quickly.

I hope the rest of tonight goes well! I am totally crossing my fingers!

**Note: As for Mommy, I was dying with pain for most of the day. I think this weaning is going to hurt me more than it hurts Andrew!




4 comments:

Mary-Ann Hoang said...

LMAO.

I can only imagine AJ's response to that.

Tse Family said...

Hi Syd, this reminds me so much of how hard it was with Nathan. Pain and all. He weaned around 22 months and Hannah was born 5 months later. I thought he would want to start up again, but he had no interest. It was a little sad, but I was glad to know he was really finished and not traumatized. Hope you are feeling better! It was so great to talk to you when we were in Texas. Sorry we couldn't figure out a way to see you guys. We are in such a holding pattern waiting to see if we are moving or not that we really aren't making any plans right now, but hopefully we'll know something soon. Miss you guys! Did I send you a Christmas card?

THE HICKS FAMILY said...

Did you use cabbage? I did and that helped alot. Also, in talking to some of my friends, they took a decongestant when they were weaning and said it helped tremondously. Good luck!

The Lenz Family said...

Lorie,

Yes, the cabbage did help! Whew! I have heard of a tea that you can drink to help dry you out, but not the decongestant.

Nicci,

I know I already responded to your comment via email, but just wanted to say that I miss you guys and I hope you are doing well.

Mary Ann,

He seemed to get over it and apparently was pretty unphased by the whole process. Love you.