Saturday, April 18, 2009

The ER

Andrew had been under the weather since Thursday night. On Friday, as I mentioned before, he was okay...not great, but not too bad. He was feverish on and off; and I thought it might because he was teething. I didn't really think much of it since he wasn't fussy at all that day. Well, today, he wasn't doing too well. His nose was runny; and he was pretty congested. Later in the morning, he wasn't acting like himself. He was so fussy and just miserable. Not to mention, he was burning up too. We took his temperature under his arm, which was 101 degrees. We called the on call nurse at our pediatrician's office who affirmed our thought that we needed to seek medical attention. She suggested St. Luke's Minor Emergency Center. We knew exactly where it was as it was the same place where I took James when he broke his ankle three years ago back in b-school.

It was close to Andrew's nap, so we decided to let him sleep to get some rest. He slept okay, still warm though. After he woke up, he was better, but we still wanted to take him in to have him checked out. It was hilarious because on the car ride over, he was dancing to the music and in such a happy mood. What a 180 degree turn from a few hours before!! But we kept our course. Fortunately, the wait wasn't long as there wasn't many people there. Andrew did not like the clinic one bit. He cried when the nurse tried to take his blood pressure and temperature (understandable since it was rectally). Drew's temperature was 101.9 degrees. He was again upset with the doctor tried to check him out too. The doctor found that both ears were red; and his right ear had an infection. They gave him some Motrin to bring down his fever; and the doctor prescribed him some antibiotics. We went home so he could take his afternoon nap.

As per my earlier blog, Daddy and I had planned to celebrate our anniversary tonight while Ngoai and Papa watched Andrew. But not only with everything going on with Andrew, we had some severe weather storms--massive rain! After many discussions between us and them, we decided that we would forego dinner and only go the symphony so we wouldn't be gone too long. Ngoai and Papa did have some flooding in their neighborhood, but the water quickly subsided enough so they were still able to drive up.

So, we went to the symphony; and it was very nice. It was Brahms' First. Some of it was familiar, but some of it was very new. The guest violinist was incredible. I called Ngoai during intermission. She told me that Andrew was doing great playing and dancing to music. She told us not to worry about the little guy. Well, that is always easier said than done.

I started to get a sore throat while I was there. James offered to take me home, but we only had an hour left. So, after the concert, we headed to Walgreens to pick up his antibiotics, but our 24-hr Walgreens changed their pharmacy hours due to the economy. So, that sucked, but oh well. We arrived home; and Papa and Ngoai had just put Drew to bed 15 or so minutes before we returned. They said he was really good...that they really couldn't tell he was sick. I guess he puts on a good face for his grandparents. But that doesn't surprise me. He always does well for them and anyone who watches him. What a trooper he is!

James and I were talking in the car on the way to the symphony tonight. I asked him if it was sad that if I missed Andrew already (after having only left him 15 minutes before). I mentioned that I do miss the days where we could do as we pleased and go where we want when we went and not have to worry about Andrew. But I wouldn't trade this for the world. James and I were wrought with worry all today especially during the whole ER thing. It is crazy how freaked out we as parents become when it involves our kids. James is typically so laid back, but when it comes to A.J., it's a totally different ballgame. Even during the symphony, James and I did enjoy our time away and being alone together, but we missed Andrew terribly especially with him being sick.

There was even a moment that I thought how it would be if Andrew were there with us. I envision us taking him to a concert when he's a little older, him sitting in between us in whatever cute outfit I dress him us (suit maybe?), and me watching the expressions on his face hearing the music. They have this family concert series that I think would be perfect. I can't wait to share these moments with him. Funny how having kids really changes your life. I knew it would, but never imagined it to this level.

I want to close with another thank you to Ngoai and Papa for watching our little guy for us so we could celebrate. We really appreciate it!

Here are some pictures from today. Does Andrew even look sick? Ha ha! My sweet boy!

















No comments: