Tuesday, April 20, 2010

HOU to LAS

Our evening flight from Houston to Las Vegas was thankfully free of stress and tears (from Andrew nor Mommy!). Daddy took the day off from work to study so we headed to the zoo with friends in the morning. It worked out becxause I wanted Andrew to be really tired so he would take a good nap, which he did. I finished packing and getting everything together ahead of time so we actually left for the airport a tad early. Yeah for me!! Ngoai had just arrived at the airport so she waited for us outside the terminal to help with Andrew so Daddy didn't have to park the car. I think Daddy felt a little sad that he wouldn't have more time with us before saying goodbye, but it was just easier this way. Andrew said bye bye to Daddy and gave him his usual hug and kiss. I think Mommy was more sad about saying good bye to Daddy than Andrew (even though Daddy was going to be flying out Thursday night with Papa). Andrew just wanted to go see the planes!

After a speedy and pretty tame check in and pass through security, we headed for our gate with a quick stop at the food court. Andrew opted for pizza over chicken nuggets. Ngoai actually bought some food for us to eat. So, as we waited for our plane, Andrew ate French bread and oranges. Andrew and I spent lots of time looking outside the window. Luckily, our gate was near the runway so Andrew watched a lot of planes taking off.

Finally, it was time to board. I wasn't sure how Andrew was going to handle sitting in his own eat (this was the first time he's flown since turning two and the first time we have had to pay for his ticket). Andrew was supposed to sit in his seat with his seat belt buckled for take off and landing. I was anxious about this part. I had been telling him about the sitting part for a while to get him used to the idea. But all my anxiety was all for naught. He was so good!! Ngoai and I were so pleasantly surprised.

The rest of the flight went fine. There were a few times that Andrew didn't want to sit down and sat in my lap. He loved looking at the window especially at the wing. He watched Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. As fate would have it, in the movie, there is a plane crash. I explained to Andrew that the plane broke. So, of course, he keeps saying "Airplane broke" over and over again. And since Drew doesn't know about using his inside voice, he's saying it pretty loudly too. But the plane isn't exactly quiet so I don't think anyone heard.

Ngoai and I kep wondering when Andrew would fall asleep. You could tell he was tired, but he was putting up a good fight. Finally, on our descent down, he conked out!! Great timing!! He got to sleep for a good half an hour though!! Drew woke up once we were in the airport. All the moving, noise and hustle and bustle woke him up. We proceeded down to baggage claim where Anh Thu was going to meet us. Emma and Brennan had come along too and made us a welcome to Las Vegas sign. It was so sweet and so cute!!!

Andrew immediately went to Aunt Anh Thu! Boy, does he ever love her!!! So, we headed to the truck and went to pick up Cara from gymnastics. It's so great seeing Anh Thu and the kids!! I had so missed them. Apparently, so did Andrew!

We arrived at Anh Thu's house, ate, and played before putting the kids to bed. I am so excited to be here! I can't wait for the rest of the week. Well, I'd better get to bed too--I have a feeling I am going to need to get all the rest I can get to keep up with all the kids!




No comments: