Saturday, April 3, 2010

Holy Saturday

This morning, we headed back to the Downtown Aquarium where they were holding a little Easter celebration, which included an egg hunt and the Easter bunny. We thought it might be fun for Andrew to go and if nothing else, he gets to do all the normal Aquarium things...ride the train and carousel and see the animals.

First thing we noticed was that it was hotter than we thought it was going to be. Is Spring already over!? But it was a beautiful day--and it was great to be outside. We rode the train first before the line got long. We asked Andrew if he wanted to ride it again immediately, but he said no. Strange. So instead, we walked through the aquarium exhibits. Then, we hung around outside waiting for the egg hunt to begin.

Before the hunt, I had asked an employee if they were going to split the kids into age groups to which she said no. Interesting. They basically had two areas fenced off with the eggs and treats hidden in hay. They were going to open the gates and let the kids go in. Well, it was pure pandimonium. You know I expected there to be some craziness, but this wasn't the kind I had in mind. Some of the kids had lined up along one fence, but the employee ended up opening another side of the fence, which happened to be where Andrew and I were standing. So, some of the kids were pushing their way to get in. Now, I don't mind a little bit of rushing to get in, but some of it was really much. Some of the kids were older and I had hoped they should have known better. Especially, how there were lots of little kids trying to get in there too! So, Mommy went into protective mode and wanted to go in as with Drew as a guard. I saw that it wasn't going to pretty so I asked a gentlemen if I could go in to protect Andrew and he said yes. Andrew had a hard time seeing the eggs, so I did help him a bit. I got some of the hay out of the way. Daddy came in to see if he wanted to switch places...he would help with the hunt and I could take pictures. This little boy asked James where the eggs were because he couldn't find any. I started digging around more to try to find him one. Neither James nor I could find anymore so we gave him one of Andrew's. Drew wasn't too happy at first, but got over it very quickly. Atta boy! We pretty much gave up and headed out of the hunt. Then, an older kid maybe like ten years old came up and gave Andrew an egg. And I think it was totally on his own volition because I didn't see his parents closeby. But either way, it was really nice and restored some of my faith back into the older kids. I know not all of them are as inconsiderate as some that I saw today.

Anyhow, afterwards, we saw the Easter Bunny and took a few pictures with him. Andrew wasn't too scared of him. He didn't love him, but he didn't cry his head off, which is always a possibility. Andrew didn't want to ride the train, but agreed to the carousel--but back in the chariot. I thought it strange that Andrew was picking the carousel over the train, but either way. After it was over, he wanted to ride it again so we stayed put. And after it was over that time, he wanted to ride it again. Strange. Whatever. No biggie to me--though I do sometimes get a little dizzy on it! Then, we went to go play in the dancing fountains. Andrew was timid at first, but came around and started to enjoy himself.

It was getting near time to head home. So , we asked Andrew if he wanted to ride the train again, but he said no. Interesting. We headed to the car to go home and as we were trying to put him in the carseat, he said he wanted to ride the train. What!? Oh, this child!! By that time, the line was long and we had to wait. Go figure that once we finally were ready to board the train, he said he didn't want to ride it. Well, I told him he said he wanted to ride it so we were going to ride it. He put up a little stink, but when the train started going, he was fine. Then, we headed home and Andrew promptly fell asleep in the car in no time.














No comments: