Saturday, February 12, 2011

Our Early Valentine's

Last night, Daddy and I celebrated an early Valentine's Day. For a long while now, we have tried to celebrate Valentine's either before or after the holiday to avoid the crowd and mass hysteria. And it's so much easier to get a reservation too!!

Andrew and I had spent the night in League City on Thursday night. The plan was for me to head back to Houston to go on our date Friday evening while Andrew stayed the night again in League City with my folks. We had talked to Andrew about the plans here and there to get him prepared; and he seemed fairly content with it.

But he woke up on the wrong side of the bed after nap and was totally miserable and clingy. When I said I was leaving for home, he grabbed me and started to cry. I didn't know what do to. I was scared he was getting sick and maybe that was the cause of his fussiness. So, I called Daddy to say that our date might have to be cancelled. Of course, we were disappointed, but we know we could go out another time.

Not five minutes later, Papa took Andrew outside for some fresh air. When I walked out to see them after I got off the phone with Daddy, Andrew was back to normal having fun playing with Papa's tennis balls in the front yard. I casually asked him if I could go on my date with Daddy and pick him up tomorrow morning, he said "yes." I didn't waste any time for him to change his mind. I called Daddy on the way home and asked him to push back our reservations for dinner to allow me time to drive up to the house in rush hour. Luckily, the restaurant was able to still accommodate us.

We had been wanting to try out a nearby French restaurant called Au Petit Paris for a while now based on a few friends' recommendations to which they totally lived up to. We had an incredible meal; and the restaurant was very charming.

After dinner, James and I had discussed seeing a movie, but there wasn't anything that we really wanted to see. And I had researched some other outings, but didn't find anything too appealing. Go figure, the night we have the ability to go out, there isn't much available to us. Oh well! And top of things, I had a mild headache to boot. So, we opted to go home to chill and watch television. I had said that we weren't taking full advantage of the opportunity, but Daddy made a very valid point--it's not always that we get to watch whatever we want and have a good night's rest.

This morning, we drove to League City to pick up the little man. As nice as it is to have some quality alone time just the two of us, we both missed Andrew like crazy. Ngoai and Papa said he did fantastic. He didn't cry at all and only asked for me once. And he's already said he wants to spend the night again with Ngoai and Papa with "no Mommy and Daddy." :)

A huge thank you to Ngoai and Papa for watching Andrew and allowing us our date night. We always appreciate everything you do for us. And thanks to James for being my Valentine's for the last fourteen years! I love you, babe!

Sadly, I forgot to ask our waiter to take our picture at the restaurant, but here is one of our little guy in League City from yesterday. He's watching a little TV while Ngoai and I shopped around at Gymboree.

No comments: