Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Houston Zoo

Last week, I purchased our family membership to the Houston Zoo. Today, we met up with Jenny, Eric, and Jenny's sister, Karen, there for the afternoon. This was Andrew's first time at any zoo, so Mommy didn't know what to expect in regards to how Andrew would take to it (or even if he would).

With Andrew's track record of not liking to sit in his stroller for long amounts of time, I opted to put him in the Baby Bjorn. I didn't want to have to push the stroller while carrying him! I thought it best to save the stroller test for when Daddy was with us.

Well, there is definitely no question about it--Andrew really took to it! He was so good just looking around. He was really cute when he would look at the animals and start "talking". He would sometimes point at them too. I think it was better with the bigger animals since they were easier to see such as the elephants and giraffes.

One of the books that we read to Andrew is this zoo book from Sesame Street that includes elephants, giraffes, and zebras. Since I read it to him almost daily, I have it somewhat memorized. So, when we saw those particular animals, I would recite those portions of the book in hopes that he would associate it. I don't know if it worked or it was pure coincidence (I think the latter), but James said tonight, Andrew really tracked the pages in the book.

Also, Andrew did really well at the petting zoo. He was gentle and not scared at all. I have also been reading a Touch and Feel book with farm animals; and Andrew will usually touch each page. We have also been working on gentle patting when he sees dogs too.

Either way, we will definitely be going back to the zoo!! I don't think Andrew cried or fussed once!









































No comments: