Saturday, December 24, 2011

Happy 46th Month Birthday

Andrew has been really in the Christmas spirit this year. He talks about Christmas all the time and asks when it is coming. He is loving songs like Jingle Bells and Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. He takes great pride in turning on and off the lights on the Christmas tree. He asks to go see Christmas lights at Lights in the Heights and River Oaks. Drew talks frequently about what he is wants for Christmas. He knows he gets to ask Santa for one gift and takes it very seriously. He has said from the get go that he wanted a bicycle. At first, it was a Thomas bike, but now, he says just a green bike. Moreover, as I mentioned before, he is so obsessed with his Advent calendar and doesn't understand why he cannot have all the presents already.

We have told Andrew that not all the Santas we see are the real Santa Claus because the real Santa is very busy and can't be everywhere so he has helpers. So every time we see one, he will ask if it's the real Santa or not. When we talked about going back to the Festival of Lights, he asked if Papa was going to come and that he maybe would like it.

After seeing the volunteers for the Salvation Army at a few places, Andrew was curious about why they were out there with their bells so I explained how they were raising money for those who didn't have enough. Sure enough, one night when we were home, he grabbed a bell ornament from our tree and starting ringing it and then asked "Can I have some money?" We laughed until our tummies hurt!!

He asks about when things are going to be again like book fair and Halloween. Drew has also been asking more and more about going to ride the Polar Express. The train lover still asks to go back to Thomas Live on Stage and Thomas Day Out. He also talks a lot about his upcoming birthday especially his party theme.

Our little traveler was very excited about going to Vegas and sledding. He said he wanted to go with sledding with Cara because she goes fast. But when Aunt Anh Thu asked about going with Uncle Rick because he goes faster, he said "no thanks, just Cara".

As for toys, Andrew really enjoys playing LEGOs. He primarily builds trains, fire trucks, houses, and fire stations. I think he asks "you play with me?" at least one time every day. He also plays with his iPad playing on coloring apps and watching videos mainly. Andrew has also been playing quite a bit with these Melissa & Doug Town Wooden Blocks that Nonna gave him. Andrew has been enjoying playing games such as Gold Fish and Memory. For Memory, we play with a Thomas Match Game set as well as the picture cards of various objects.

I don't know where he got this from, but one day he pretended to ride a snowboard on a rectangle piece of cardboard that he found around the house. We have also been pretending to be pirates complete with Andrew drawing a jolly roger and treasure map and pretend our couch is our pirate ship. Andrew also asks to build tents and forts often.

Andrew still loves movie nights especially the popcorn part. This past month, Drew has watched Bolt and Finding Nemo, but he is also enjoying holiday films such as The Grinch Stole Christmas and Charlie Brown Christmas. He is able to sit through the entire movie with no problems. And if he gets scared, he just covers his eyes, but still peers through his fingers.

We continue to work on his letters and numbers. He can spell words like Andrew, train, and fire. Drew has been very much into drawing on white blank paper (he is adamant about the white) and has been drawing lots of Christmas trees with trains underneath like ours at home. Of course, he still draws fire trucks and fire stations.

Andrew has been eating very well lately. He is really becoming more and more the carnivore liking meat which he likes to reiterate when he is eating that it will make him "big and strong". One of his favorite meals is the Mongolian Beef from Pei Wei.

His beverage in choice in the mornings have been strawberry and chocolate milk. For lunch at school, he typically asks for grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza Lunchables. He loves pizza especially from Pizza Hut and Totino's. His favorite snack is Nilla wafers.

We are starting to have a little food critic on our hands who will tell me upon occasion "Mom, you make a good dinner" or "Can we have it again another day?" if he likes what I made for dinner. He loves it when I cook spaghetti and penne pasta with Alfredo sauce, chicken, and broccoli. One night, I overcooked some meat to which he promptly told me that "dinner not so good." And our little sous chef still enjoys to help us cook. He loves to pour and stir whatever he can. Most times, he doesn't make a mess, but upon occasion, we have some spills, but nothing too bad.

For whatever reason, Andrew likes to say that he is a size 3. He is dressing himself more and more. We have been working with him to put on his shoes. One time, he was wearing a polo knit and I hadn't buttoned the top button yet. I made the mistake of saying "too sexy" in reference to a SNL skit. Now, he repeats it all the time!

Drew has been great with wearing his big boy underwear and not having any accidents. He is funny because we will ask him to go pee to which he says "I don't need to go pee". But then he pees like a race horse.

He is missing more naps nowadays. When I ask him if he's taken at nap when I pick him up from school, he will sometimes get quiet and clam up, which gives me my answer. He will then tell me "I'm sorry for not taking a nap." One time when I was putting him down for a nap myself, he didn't fall asleep after I kept after him about laying down nicely and to stay in his room. Afterwards, he asked me to play with him. I told him that I wouldn't play with him because he didn't listen to me about taking a nap. He copped an attitude and said to me "now you listen to me!"

At night time, Andrew will ask "you lay with me?" We oblige him for about five minutes and then let him go to sleep on his own. There have been a few times that he asks to sleep in our room. One time, I told him that there isn't enough room for all three of us (in all honesty, there is, but Andrew loves to kick Daddy in bed). He then suggested that we can take turns sleeping in our room. Nice try, Drew! But he is definitely given us less problems at night time, which is such a nice relief.

There are so many more things that Andrew comes up with on his own that crack us up hysterically. For example, one day when we were running errands, we were going to take Daddy home to rest and study while Andrew and I continued some shopping. Andrew's take on that was that we could "let Daddy stay in the car".

Another time when we go to my parents' house, he now asks if we are going to spend the night. One time I asked him how many nights he wanted to stay over and he replied "5". And there was one time when he told me he is not going to college. When I asked him why, he said because he can't drive there.

When he gets in trouble, he will tell me he will "do it everyday" whatever he is supposed to. And as to whatever misbehavior he has done, he will tell me he will do it "never again". Andrew will also throw out quite a bit "sorry, my fault" for little things.

I hear a lot of "thanks, Mom" versus "thank you", but I'll take it. Andrew frequently calls out "Mom?" and then when I say "yes?", he says "I love you."

In regards to how Andrew is fairing in terms of grieving for his brother, Andrew still is such a brave little boy. He asks a lot of questions and sometimes, I don't have the answers. He has asked me why we can't see people in Heaven up in the sky. He will ask to pray for Matthew at night before bed. One night when I was putting him to bed, he was really quiet and said, "I just thinking about something." I asked him what he was thinking about. And he replied, "Matthew. I miss him." I then said, "I miss him too. Any time you want to talk about him, we can." He replied, "How about tomorrow morning?" Of course, I responded, "Of course, whenever, love."

We love you, little man!! We are so lucky to be your parents!

No comments: