Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Generations

Yesterday, Andrew met his great grand- mother (my mom's mom); and it really moved me as I reflected about what this meant. If not for her, then there would be no Mom. If not for Mom, then there would be no me. And if not for me, then there would be no him.

The last few years, James has been very interested in genealogy and has spent a great deal of time researching and documenting his ancestors. Unfortunately, a family tree on my side would have few branches and limbs--definitely not for of a lack of family members, but for of a lack of information. Sadly, memories have faded; and Vietnam was not the best country for documenting births and deaths.

I think this is why seeing Andrew meet his great grandmother meant so much to me. I saw firsthand a span of four generations of the Hoang family and realize how fortunate we are to have had this moment.


No comments: