Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Last Day of School

Wow!! I can't believe today was Andrew's last day of school--his first last day of school. They had their end of the year party, which was an ice cream social. Andrew didn't eat as much as I thought he would. He instead left the table to go play with his friends, which makes sense to me now. He was cute with all of his classmates. He read books with some of them and listened to shells and told me he could hear the ocean. Ben's mom, Anna, presented Ms. Faruolo and Ms. Quiroz with their gifts (Visa gift cards) and they also presented Anna with a thank you gift for serving as our room mother. Then, it was time to say goodbye. It was a little sad for me. I don't think Andrew gets it though. He gave goodbye hugs to both his teachers just like any other day and walked out of the room. But it's nice to know we can come visit them during the summer and next year so it's a little easier to swallow.

Reflecting, I first think what a ride this school year has been. I still remember being so anxious that first day during drop off. And now, here we are eight months later and we all love school now. I have to say I was initially nervous about Ms. Faruolo. She is more stern and even intimidated James and me. But we quickly came to appreciate her firmness and realize she is exactly what Andrew needed in a teacher this year. She was still very nurturing, but really kept Andrew in line. And then, there is Ms. Quiroz who is so sweet and kind. And she totally dotes on the kids. You can tell she really loves all of them. They were a good team and balanced each other well. We were very lucky with our teachers and we are so grateful for all they did for us this year. They provided us with a good transition and we never had to worry about Andrew at school because we knew he was in very good hands. And that's very big for me because he is our little guy and sending him to schol was very daunting for us...well me for sure. So, to have such amazing teachers and to have such a wondeful experience with his school has been such a blessing.

So, here's to one fantastic school year and hoping that it's just the first of many.









No comments: